- Refocusing attention – such as areas of attention in the body
- Increasing body awareness
- Exercises (such as meditation) to connect the body and mind together
- Reducing the perception of pain
- Reducing anxiety and tension
- Reducing pain and stiffness
- Improving quality of sleep
- Improving comfort
- Improving posture
The relaxation techniques used by your physiotherapist at Manchester may involve:
- Breathing – this may include breathing control which focusing on relaxing your upper body and breathing from your tummy. This can be used in conjunction with deep breathing which helps the muscles relax when pain is restricting breathing. Deep breathing also helps to lower blood pressure, decrease heart rate and bring oxygen into the body, to reduce pain and anxiety.
- Progressive muscle relaxation – which involves slowly tensing and then releasing each muscle group individually, starting with the muscles in the toes and finishing with those in the head.
- Advice on maintaining a good posture to increase comfort and reduce stiffness or tension in sitting, standing, lying down or moving around. It is important to become more aware of posture and find ways to remember to regularly check and improve one's position.
If you would like any more information or would like to book an appointment at Physio.co.uk, please call us on 0330 088 7800 or you can also book online.