What is Bobath?
Bobath is a type of physiotherapy treatment which aims to improve movement and mobility in patients with damage to their central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). Many physiotherapists use Bobath in the rehabilitation of patients with neurological conditions to promote the sensory and motor pathways and facilitate normal movement and motor control.
The Bobath concept continues to develop in concordance which changes in the presentation of individuals with different neurological conditions. Bobath also changes with the emergence of new theories, models and information.
Principles of Bobath
Bobath is based around the brains ability to adapt to change and reorganise and recover after neurological damage.
The Bobath approach rests on a number of principles that include:
- Encouragement of normal movement patterns
- Focusing on quality of movement
- Normalisation of tone to facilitate active movement
- Positioning and posture in lying, sitting and standing
- Discouragement of compensatory movements
- Discouragement of muscle strength training
- Promotion of maximum functional recovery to improve quality of independence
Benefits of Bobath
Bobath physiotherapists encourage a person to move in the most normal and energy efficient way and prevent abnormal movement patterns in order to:
- Normalise tone
- Regain motor control
- Make movements easier to achieve that are precise and goal directed
- Improve posture
- Lengthen tight muscles to help decrease spasticity and reduce contractures
- Improve ability with everyday activities
- Increase independence
- Achieve maximum potential
How Physio.co.uk use Bobath?
At Physio.co.uk the Bobath approach is used in conjunction with other treatments to provide the best possible outcome for the patient. Every person with a neurological condition presents differently so physiotherapy treatment will be tailored to your needs, symptoms and goals. This will also allow the physiotherapists at Physio.co.uk to maximise the potential of patients.
Bobath is currently used to treat neurological conditions including:
The physiotherapists at Physio.co.uk are experienced in treating patients with neurological conditions. Physiotherapy treatment is enjoyable and effective emphasising a friendly and caring approach which means that you can be confident that you are receiving treatment of the highest quality.
For any more information about the use of Bobath Physiotherapy at Physio.co.uk or to book an assessment please call us today on 0330 088 7800. You can also book your appointments with us online