- Increased pain
- Reduced mobility
- Decreased confidence with normal activities
- Reduced range of movement
What causes stiffness?
There are a variety of reasons which potentially could cause stiffness at joints and muscles. Some of the most common causes are:
- Immobilisation for a period of time
- Aging process (loss of elasticity in tissues)
- Swelling and inflammation
- Soft tissue injury
- Overuse / exertion
How can Physiotherapy help?
Physiotherapy can help with both muscle and joint stiffness in clients through assessment, advice and treatment and appropriate. Physiotherapy can help stiffness by:
- Increasing joint range of movement
- Increasing muscle length
- Decreasing pain
- Offering self-management strategies
- Sign posting to other appropriate medical services as necessary
What Physiotherapy Treatments can be expected for stiffness?
For joint and muscle stiffness there are several Physiotherapeutic techniques which can be used to help. Some of the techniques include:
- Joint mobilisations
- Range of movement exercises
- Stretching exercises
- Strengthening exercises
- Electrotherapy (PSWD, Interferential, TENS)
Stiffness is a symptom which is produced by many injuries and conditions. The experienced Physiotherapists at Physio.co.uk can help treat the symptom through different therapeutic modalities and advice. For a professional high quality service please contact us or call 0330 088 7800 to arrange an appointment.