- Slow transit constipation: a delay in stool movement in the bowels
- Obstructed constipation: an inability to fully relieve your bowels despite an urgency to do so
What can cause constipation?
There are a variety of reasons why you may be experiencing constipation. It is important that you have a full assessment to identify the root cause of your problem to give you the best possible chance of recovery. Possible causes of constipation include:
- Following a caesarean surgery
- Pelvic surgery
- Muscle imbalance
- Pelvic floor muscle weakness
What will physiotherapy for constipation involve?
There are a number of physiotherapy options available to you to treat constipation. The women’s health physiotherapists at Physio.co.uk will work decide the best possible physiotherapy programme to help achieve your goals. Physiotherapy treatment may include:
- Relaxation of sphincter muscles
- Pelvic floor strengthening
- Pain control modalities
- Transverse abdominal strengthening exercises
Constipation is the inability to relieve your bowels regularly despite trying to. Constipation is relatively common in women and may be due to a number of reasons. It is important that you have a full physiotherapy assessment to determine the specific needs of your treatment. Physio.co.uk will provide you with a comprehensive and holistic physiotherapy programme to help optimise your recovery and prevent any long term complications. Please call our experienced women’s health physiotherapists at Physio.co.uk on 0330 088 7800 to book an appointment today. You can also book an appointment online today!