What is Metatarsalgia?
Metatarsalgia is a term used to describe a general pain in the ball of the foot area on the metatarsal heads (where the toes meet the ball of the foot). This can occur in one or more of the metatarsal heads. There are many factors which can cause Metatarsalgia some of which can include:
- Overweight (additional strain being placed through the joint)
- Wearing high heeled shoes
- Pes cavus (high arched foot)
How can Physiotherapy Treat Metatarsalgia?
Physiotherapy can offer different treatments which can alleviate the pain that is caused by Metatarsalgia. The physiotherapists at Physio.co.uk offer a comprehensive assessment, diagnosis and treatment service to all patients. Some of the common treatments that are used to treat Metatarsalgia can include:
- Joint mobilisations – to increase range of movement
- Gait re-education – this may be the cause
- Acupuncture – decrease pain and stimulate healing
- Massage – to reduce swelling
- Electrotherapy – stimulate healing
- Lifestyle advice – weight loss and shoe type
- Referral to orthotist