Why Do Runners Need Flexibility?
Runners need good hip, knee and ankle mobility to run in an effective and efficient style. Reduced muscle tension and increased flexibility is important to reduce risk of injury such as muscle tears which can occur due to repetitive loading through the foot. Flexible muscles are more likely to be able to tolerate load and facilitate transition as the feet move from push off to initial stance during the running cycle.
What to Expect
You will be assessed by one of our experienced musculoskeletal physiotherapists who will highlight any areas of reduced joint range of movement and/or muscle tightness. A flexibility program will be devised for you on a one to one basis to target and correct specific dysfunction. Various different mobility and stretching exercises will be prescribed to you to ensure you meet your goals.
Physiotherapy assessment and treatment may also include:
- Biomechanical running assessment with 3d video analysis
- Functional movement analysis
- Strengthening and conditioning program
- Running specific drills
- Advice regarding warming up/cooling down
- Manual therapy including sports massage and joint mobilisation
- Acupuncture/dry needling
- Advice regarding appropriate running trainers
The Benefits of a Flexibility Program
There are many benefits of a flexibility program for running, whether its post injury or to enhance running or sporting performance.
Benefits of a flexibility program include:
- Increased range of movement
- Decreased muscle tension
- Reduced risk of injury
- Increased fluency of movement
- More efficient running style
- Greater spring to your step
- Energy conservation
- Increased speed of running
- Quicker recovery following injury
How do I book in for an assessment?
To book a biomechanical running assessment with one of the specialist physiotherapists, please call Physio.co.uk on 0330 088 7800 today. You can also book appointments online using our online booking system