Physio.co.uk has many patients with neurological conditions that regularly enjoy hydrotherapy sessions.
Neurological conditions that may benefit from hydrotherapy
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Cerebro-Vascular Accident (CVA – commonly known as a stroke)
- Muscular dystrophy
- Parkinson’s disease
- Traumatic brain injury
- Guillain-Barré syndrome
Aims of hydrotherapy for neurological conditions
Hydrotherapy aims to encompass the same goals as an on-land programme; the physical characteristics of warm water allow these to be achieved more effectively:
- Prevent soft tissue contractures and mobilise stiff joints
- Use of buoyancy effect to enhance muscle activity
- Develop motor control through use of functional goals
- Increase muscle strength
- Increase endurance
- Increase function and enhance independence
- Improve quality of life
Advantages of hydrotherapy in neurological rehabilitation
- The warm water allows increased movement, as it decreases joint stiffness, normalises tone, and promotes relaxation of the muscles. The combination of these effects is likely to relieve pain.
- Water can provide resistance against which we can strengthen weak muscles
- The buoyancy effect of water can facilitate passive stretching
- Water provides a safe environment in which to practice balance and walking, it also allows for easier handling for the physiotherapist
- The buoyancy effect allows decreased weight bearing and walking can be practiced sooner
What hydrotherapy may involve
A personalised one to one programme will be created by our team of highly experienced physiotherapists aimed at achieving the personal goals of the individual. It will use the principles of water to its advantage, incorporating strengthening exercises to overcome the resistance effect, stretching with aid of the buoyancy effect, relaxation with the aid of heat that will normalise tone and decrease stiffness. The programme will also include functional activities such as reaching and grasping floating objects. The water provides a safe environment in which to practice walking and weight transference. A physiotherapist will accompany the patient in the water to provide support and facilitate movements.
Physio.co.uk provides a highly specialised one-to-one rehabilitation physiotherapy programme. With no waiting lists and flexible appointment times, we can fit into any lifestyle. Our team of experienced neurological physiotherapists are able to produce a thorough week-by-week programme, focused on achieving personal goals.
The hydrotherapy facility we use is fully equipped to ensure safety and access despite physical capabilities. Key features of the centre include:
- Private hydrotherapy area
- Hoist available for transfers into the pool if required
- Wheelchair access to pool via “Aqua-chair”
- Large disabled changing area with plinth
- Access to disabled toilets and showers
- Easy access to poolside