The principles of Conductive Education
This approach uses a combination of psychology and education focusing on an individual?s emotions, motivations, awareness, and skills in order to develop physical function.
The key principles of this conductive education include:
- The patient is responsible for his or her efforts and initiative.
- It is a self-directed spontaneous approach to problem solving.
- The therapist acts as a facilitator, providing the optimum environment so the individual can develop their function in society without the use of aids or assistive devices
- Educational techniques and teaching is necessary to create new abilities and new potentials
- Treatment sessions take place in groups and is structured and controlled throughout the whole day.
A hierarchy of tasks exists in that once movements becomes automatic the next task in the sequence can be begun.
Benefits of Conductive Education
The Conductive Education approach allows the patient to realise that they can direct their own learning and solve problems arising from their motor disorders. This type of treatment will help:
- Recover voluntary movement
- Improve posture
- Improve balance and coordination
- Improve gross muscle control and increasing muscle strength
- Improving fine motor control such as holding objects and handwriting
- Increasing awareness of body position in space at rest and during movement (proprioception)
- Improving functional tasks such as sitting, standing and walking.
- Promoting everyday tasks. Activities for children may involve games making them fun and engaging.
- Increase independence
- Increasing self confidence and self esteem
How Physio.co.uk use Conductive Education
The Conductive Education approach is commonly used at Physio.co.uk in the treatment of individuals with different neurological disorders. Our specialised neurological physiotherapists use this approach in conjunction with other types of treatment to gain the best possible recovery. Treatment will be individualised and will depend on the symptoms of the individual following injury. Physiotherapy treatment using the conductive approach will develop physical function and increase independence with everyday tasks.
Conductive Education treatment is currently used to treat many neurological conditions including: motor control in a functional way.
At Physio.co.uk our neurological physiotherapists are experienced in treating people with neurological conditions. Physiotherapy treatment at Physio.co.uk will help individuals to reach their maximum potential with everyday tasks. Treatment sessions will incorporate different equipment in order to stimulate new ways of doing things. Many patients enjoy treatment and build close relationships with our physiotherapists. Physiotherapy will improve motor skills as well as organisational ability such as concentration, accuracy and fine motor control.
For more information on conductive education or book an assessment please call Physio.co.uk today on 0330 088 7800. As well as this, you can also book an appointment online today.