What are lower limb orthotics?
Lower limb orthotics are specialist external devices that are be used in certain areas of the lower limb to correct an abnormal alignment. These include braces, insoles, splints or other devices. Each lower limb orthotic is specifically designed to meet the needs of the individual and will require a comprehensive assessment and gait analysis by a podiatrist.
At Physio.co.uk there are experienced podiatrists that can provide you with a full assessment which will help them chose an effective lower limb orthotic to suit you. There are a variety of lower limb orthotics including:
- Ankle-foot orthosis (AFO)
- Knee-ankle-foot orthosis (KAFO)
- Hip-knee-ankle-foot orthosis (HKAFO)
- Trunk- hip-knee-ankle-foot orthosis (HKAFO)
- Knee bracing
- Ankle bracing
- Casted lower limb orthotics: these are specially designed following an impression which is taken of your feet. The orthoses will be made depending on your problems and personal requirements.
- Non-casted lower limb orthotics: these are not specifically tailored to an individual but may be a good way to begin wearing orthotics.
Why might I need lower limb orthotics?
There are a number of reasons why you might need to be prescribed lower limb orthotics from Physio.co.uk. These include:
- Lower limb joint instability
- Muscles weakness or imbalance
- Muscle contractures (shortening)
- Impaired gait
- Inefficient running technique
What are lower limb orthotics used for?
There are various conditions and complications that will benefit from using a lower limb orthotic. Physio.co.uk will provide you with a full assessment to determine the specific orthotic that will benefit your needs. Lower limb orthotics may be used for:
Lower limb orthotics specialist devices that can be designed for all areas of the lower limb to help improve normal alignment and movement. Physio.co.uk have experienced podiatrists that will assess your individual needs to help create the best possible lower limb orthotic to suit you. This will allow you to continue with your normal activities of daily living and/or sport to the best of your ability.
Please call Physio.co.uk today on 0330 088 7800 to book an appointment. You can also book appointments online today!