What are upper limb orthotics?
Upper limb orthotics are external devices that are specifically designed to improve the function and structure of various areas in the upper limb. These can include braces, slings and splints and are often made from thermoplastics, casting and metal.
The experienced podiatrists at Physio.co.uk will provide you with a comprehensive assessment which will help to decide the best lower limb orthotic to suit your needs. There are two main types of lower limb orthotics and the choice of these will depend on what the orthoses is need for:
- Static orthoses: these devises do not provide any movement and are made from very rigid structures. They are commonly used for fractures and tendon and nerve injuries.
- Dynamic orthoses: these devises do allow movement although the amount depending on the condition that it is being used for. Dynamic orthoses are mainly used for weakness and spasticity.
Why might I need upper limb orthotics?
There are a variety of conditions that may benefit from an upper limb orthoses. Your podiatrist at Physio.co.uk will be able to assess the nature of your problem and work with you to design a number of goals that you would like to achieve. Conditions that may be helped include:
- Spinal cord injury
- Repetitive injury e.g. tennis elbow
- Peripheral nerve injury
- Severe burns
- Post surgery
What are the benefits of upper limb orthotics?
Regardless of what the upper limb orthoses is being used for, there a number of benefits that can be achieved. Your podiatrist at Physio.co.uk will discuss with you which of these are most important to you to help guide your treatment programme. Benefits include:
- Help you return to your normal activities of daily living
- Improve the function of your upper limb
- Reduce pain
- Increase range of movement
- Prevent any unwanted movement
- Protect a certain area from reinjury
- Help correct any deformities
- Improve strength
- Help with healing
Upper limb orthotics are external devices that are made to help improve the function of various areas in the upper limb. There are different types of upper limb orthotics depending on what you want to get out of the device. The specialist podiatrists at Physio.co.uk will work with you to decide the most appropriate upper limb orthotic to meet your needs and goals.
If you require any more information or would like to book in for an assessment then please call Physio.co.uk today on 0330 088 7800. You can also use our online booking system to make an appointment online today.