What is Dystonia?
Dystonia is characterised by sustained muscle contractions which is not under a person's control and can lead to abnormal postures and pain. Dystonia can affect any part of the body or several different areas at once.
Physiotherapy for dystonia?
Physiotherapy at Physio.co.uk will help reduce the physical symptoms related dystonia including spasms, pain, and disturbed postures through an individualised treatment program. Physiotherapy treatment at Physio.co.uk may include:
- Electrotherapy such as ice or heat and ultrasound to ease pain and reduce muscle spasms
- Correcting and varying posture to prevent muscle shortening and to increase comfort
- Muscle stretching and joint mobilisation to relieve pain and stiffness and maintain range of movement.
- Hydrotherapy to stretch tight muscles and reduce pain.
- Functional exercises to increase independence with walking, standing and transferring
- Progressive strengthening exercises
- Regular weight bearing activities in the upper and lower limbs.
- Instructing family or carers on positioning techniques in lying, sitting and standing
- Advice on proper seating to keep the body in a balanced, symmetrical and stable posture to maximise comfort and function
- Advise on splints and casts to increase range of movement and prevent the formation of contractures.
If you would like more information on physiotherapy, or to book an appointment please call 0330 088 7800.