What is neurological physiotherapy?
Neurological physiotherapy involves rehabilitation of people with neurological conditions.
Neurological conditions are problems with the brain, spinal cord or peripheral nerves. People with neurological conditions may have difficulties with their physical functions including mobility, muscle strength, range of movement and balance.
Neurological physiotherapy is a type of rehabilitation offering examination and treatment of the physical problems that are caused by an individual’s neurological condition.
At Physio.co.uk we treat patients with many different neurological conditions including Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson?s.
Neurological Physiotherapy aims to increase the quality of life of people with neurological conditions through physical means. Every person with a neurological condition presents differently. Treatment will be focused on your condition and symptoms. At Physio.co.uk neurological physiotherapy treatment aims to:
- Slow down the physical deterioration
- Maximise potential
- Help children with disabilities achieve developmental milestones
Principles of neurological physiotherapy
Neurological physiotherapy is based around numerous principles of rehabilitation.
Principles of neurological physiotherapy that Physio.co.uk base their treatments on include the following:
- The brain is dynamic and capable of adapting to change following injury to the brain or spinal cord.
- Employing a problem solving and eclectic approach, adapting treatment to patients symptoms/extent of injury
- Encouraging whatever movement is possible and building on it, through; strengthening, sensory stimulation, positive reinforcement, and verbal feedback.
- Encouragement of normal movement and function
- Correcting and varying positioning and posture in lying, sitting and standing
- Promotion of functional activities based around daily tasks
- Use of verbal and visual prompts to encourage the patient to think about task and learn from treatment
- Prevention of muscle shortening as this leads to spasticity and abnormal movement.
- Using a team approach to the rehabilitation of patients
- Implementation of realistic goals that are measured and time-framed.
- Actively engaging the patient in treatment sessions
- Achieving as great a degree of independence and quality of life possible
Benefits of neurological physiotherapy
Neurological physiotherapy should commence as soon as possible following injury for the best possible recovery.
Physio.co.uk use a combination of different neurological physiotherapy principles to provide the most beneficial treatment for our patients. These include the Bobath Concept (normal movement), the Carr and Shepherd Concept (motor relearning), the Brunnstrom Approach (synergistic movement) Conductive Education and functional rehabilitation. The treatment approach used varies depending on the individual, their symptoms and their goals. This allows us to maximise the potential of our patients.
Following injury muscle strength and movement may be affected. Muscles may become weak or tight with spasms. There may also be changes to sensation and difficulties with speech and swallowing.
Physiotherapy treatment will help:
- Make movements easier to achieve that are precise and goal directed
- Retrain normal patterns of movement
- Improve ability with everyday activities
- Increase muscle strength
- Increase range of movement
- Improve gross or fine motor skills
- Improve posture
- Increase balance
- Lengthen tight muscles to help decrease spasticity and reduce contractures
- Increase fitness levels and endurance
- Help problems with breathing
- Reduce risk of chest infections
- Reduce risk of falling
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Relieve pain
- Increase independence
- Achieve maximum potential
How Physio.co.uk use neurological physiotherapy
Neurological rehabilitation is best provided by a specialist neurological physiotherapist. At Physio.co.uk our physiotherapists are experienced in treating patients with neurological conditions.
Physiotherapy treatment will vary depending on your condition. Treatment will be specific to you and will focus on your needs. Physiotherapy treatment will increase your ability with everyday tasks and promote the functional activities that you value the most. This may include walking, climbing the stairs, shopping, gardening or simply being able to roll over and change position in bed, or transfer with assistance to your bed.
Treatment may include stretching, strengthening, teaching you how to keep your balance and walking whatever your condition. Our motivated physiotherapists at Physio.co.uk will help you achieve your maximum potential, your independence and optimise the quality of your life.
An initial assessment will identify any problems caused by your neurological condition and a treatment plan will be developed suited to your needs.
A structured rehabilitation programme will be developed including short and long-term treatment goals will be set between you and your physiotherapist. Neurological physiotherapy treatment can be carried out either at your home or in the clinic depending on your needs.
At Physio.co.uk we also work closely with podiatrists and occupational therapist who can provide additional treatment and equipment if necessary.
For more information about neurological physiotherapy or to book an assessment please call Physio.co.uk today on 0330 088 7800, to speak to one of our specialist neurological physiotherapists. You can also make appointments online today.