What is abnormal sensation?
Abnormal sensation is when you feel tingling, prickling or numbness anywhere on your body. It tends to be more common in the fingers, hands, feet, arms or legs. Abnormal sensation is usually short term caused by pressure on a nerve. However sometimes it can be a chronic problem (long term)
What is normal sensation?
Sensation is a feeling, normal sensation is when you recognise a feeling and perceive it as normal, it results from the body’s sensory nerves. As the body collects information about sensory information from our environment it sends these messages to the brain where they are processed and we discover sensations.
What are the common reasons for abnormal sensation?
There are several common reasons that can or will cause a person to have abnormal sensation these include:
- Injury to a nerve
- Multiple sclerosis
- Pressure on spinal nerves
- Lack of blood supply to an area
- Carpel tunnel syndrome
- TIA (transient ischemic heart attack)
- Staying in one position for a long period of time
How can physiotherapy benefit you?
Physiotherapy can be beneficial for abnormal sensation in the following ways:
- Helping you to be independent with your daily activities
- Reduce your risk of falling.
- Reduce your risk of injury around your home.
- Help you to become independent with your daily activities such as washing, dressing, cooking.
- Provide you with advice and guidance on coping.
- Help you to gain confidence.
What physiotherapy treatments help people with an abnormal sensation?
There are various treatments that physiotherapists may carry out for people with abnormal sensation. A structured program tailored to your needs will be developed between you and your physiotherapist so that you get the most out of your treatment. Your treatment at Physio.co.uk may involve:
- Exercise therapy
- Active and passive movements
- Strengthening exercises
- Massage techniques
- Injections into the affected area to reduce abnormal sensation
- TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)
Abnormal sensation is when a person experiences tingling, prickling or numbness on any part of their body, it is usually caused by pressure on a nerve. Physiotherapy is beneficial for people with abnormal sensation resulting from a neurological problem.
To book an appointment at Physio.co.uk or for further information on how we can help you with your abnormal sensation, please call 0330 088 7800.