What are paediatric neurological conditions?
Neurological conditions are problems with the brain, spinal cord or peripheral nerves. Children with neurological conditions may experience difficulties with physical functions such as mobility, strength, range of movement or balance.
These problems can also have an impact on a child’s development. This means that the child may reach development milestones at a later age and this can also impact on function such as head control, crawling, walking and talking.
What are the types of neurological problems in children?
Types of neurological problems can include:
- Congenital disorders including cerebral palsy
- Developmental disorders including ataxia and dyspraxia
- Head injuries
- Cancers of the brain and spinal cord
- Diseases of the spinal cord
- Peripheral nerve injuries
- Learning difficulties
What are the symptoms of neurological conditions in children?
Symptoms of respiratory conditions can include:
- Problems with mobility
- Decreased muscle strength
- Decreased range of movement
- Problems with balance
- Increased/decreased tone or spasticity
How can physiotherapy help children with neurological conditions?
Physiotherapy treatment will maximise the child’s potential and promote physical development to reach specific goals such as crawling or walking. The treatment commonly uses exercises in conjunction with hands-on treatment to facilitate development. The treatment is very individually focused and will vary from child to child.
Treatment may include:
- Re-educating normal movement patterns
- Balance training
- Improving standing and quality of walking
- Advice and support for parents and or teachers
- Milestone development
- Working on fine and gross motor skills
- The Bobath Concept (normal movement)
- The Carr and Shepherd Concept (motor relearning)
- The Brunnstrom Approach (synergistic movement)
Our specialist physiotherapists also work closely with occupational therapists who can provide additional treatment and equipment if necessary.
To find out more about paediatric neurological physiotherapy or to arrange an appointment with Physio.co.uk today call 0330 088 7800. You can also use our online booking system to make an appointment online today.